Saturday, December 24, 2011

Rock Paper Scissors is no laughing matter

What you probably see as a silly game of chance my family takes very seriously.  Once a year that is. We started 5 years ago the Austin Annual Holiday RPS Tourney.  We have it at Thanksgiving or Christmas, whichever holiday has more family.  Yes, we really do this and yes, we really do take it seriously.  Please don't ask how this idea got started.  We were probably all sitting around asking: ok how can we make something completely harmless a REALLY BIG DEAL?

Our Tournament starts with the playing of the National Anthem (this year Beyonce did the honors).  We do a round-robin (everyone plays everyone) and then based on our record get seated for the double elimination bracket.  We stretch, practice our throws, and psychologically intimidate our opponents.  The stakes are high, bragging rights throughout the entire years AND a plaque with your name on it.  We really spend money on a legitimate wood plaque with brass plates and engraving because in my family bragging rights over a good competition is priceless.      

If you are lucky enough to attend a holiday with us then you are invited (and maybe pushed) to join in the competition.  Shout out to our guest athletes: Michaela Shoemake,  Danny Shoemake, Dennis Macintosh, and Akeem Robinson.

So here are some pictures documenting the years:

Christmas 2007 

This round must have required two referees.  Nice shirt Josh. 

Akeem interviewing the Champion athlete of the year.  

The podium 

Christmas 2008
My cousin Jeff Brown won this year and I didn't even make the podium so I guess it wasn't that memorable to me...

Christmas 2009 
My brother-in-law Russell won by PHONE from Hawaii.  After getting our tails kicked by someone thousands of miles away we decided that we would not allow any long distance athletes again.  We were all left sulky and sad without even someone to rub their win in our face.  very unrewarding. 

Christmas 2010 
My mom's infamous "RPS face."  I only see this face once a year and honestly that's more than I would like.   

The National Anthem- please note my dad dishonoring our country by texting.  


Margaret's intensity paid off earning her 3rd place. 



And Finally: Christmas 2011 
The National Anthem 

My dad's eyes reflect the intensity of the competition. 

Pure joy. 
I couldn't remake this face if I wanted to.  It only comes after sweet victory. Oh and yes I am wearing onesie Dr.Suess PJ's.  

and you can guess what this face is for. failure. 

Congrats Aunt Kim and Mom but I'm coming for you next year!  


Thanks Josh for always heading it up and thinking of this idea.  We missed you this year!  



No comments:

Post a Comment