Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ways I know I'm getting older

1. I really enjoy talk radio.  Not the juicy gossipy stuff but the BBC news stuff.  On the way to my sister's house in New York I listened to talk radio for 2 hours straight.

2. My gray hair.  I have a significant amount of gray hair and the little boy I babysit asks me on a regular basis, "Bekah, since you have gray hair are you older than Grandma?"


3. I'm starting to care about politics and I crave watching the news.  


4. I like to get up and get my day started at a decent hour (note: decent doesn't mean 7 AM early).  In middle school and high school I thought there was nothing productive you could ever due before 11 AM on a Saturday.  Now I feel unproductive if I sleep in past 9.

5. Not only do I not know how to use advancing technology very well, I really have no desire to.  I feel like the next generation knows how to use my cell phone better than I do.  I actually had a dream last night that my future employer told me I was "out of date" and unqualified for my job because I don't know how to use twitter. I shutter at the thought of "proficient in twitter" going on a resume in 5 years.

6. I can say things like "ten years ago.." and "my generation..." to middle schoolers and under.

7. I look at children and say things like, "If I only had your energy..."


When did these changes happen?  When did I gradually start changing my perspective on things?  I used to look at adults and say, "You don't play with toys?  Your life must be boring!"  Now I love getting older.  Life just gets richer and richer.  With more pain and trials comes more joy and life.  Bring it on gray hair!  oh wait...     

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! You'll be writing a column on this topic about every 10 years from here on out! Love YOU!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you listen to talk radio, besides there way liberal slant on politics they have such good news. It keeps me informed on what is going on in the world!
    Love you,Nic

    ReplyDelete