Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I understand now Mom.

As some of you may know I am a Nanny part-time.  This shouldn't come as a surprise to those of you who know me because I have always LOVED children and been a little kid crazy.  I like to blame it on the fact that I'm the youngest and always wanted a little sibling.

Because of my job, some days I feel more like a mom than a college student with my car seats in my car, the crayons and snacks I always carry around in my pursue just incase, and the spare change of clothes I have under the seats of my car for those oh so fun accidents.

There are things that now being a part-time mom I understand about my mom.

1.) It's not that you were ignoring me when I said "Mom, Mom, MOM!" It's honestly was because you were immune to hearing it.

2.) You weren't the first (or second..or tenth) car in the pick up line not because I wasn't important to you, but because you saw how silly it is to idle and wait in a line for 20 minutes before school let out as opposed to just pulling right up to the front of the line. (20 minutes after the bell rang, but hey I forgive you)  Mom, I haven't ever forgotten to pick up my kids though...

3.) You always did know when I was lying.  I have always been struck by how children will just straight up lie.  The best part is that the child normally thinks they pulled a fast one on their naive mom. Now I know the mom is just momentarily tired of fighting their child's moral battle.  Moms like to call this "picking their battles."  This is a normal scenario in my car:
Alice hitting Theo or vise versa
Me: "Alice, don't hit Theo."
Alice: "I didn't!"  I didn't Bekah REALLY!"
Me when I'm tired: "Ok Alice..."
Alice's thoughts: Yes! I got away with it.
My thoughts: She thinks she got away with it...little does she know. I'll fight the next blatant lie.

4.) You were strict on snack time because it really can spoil my dinner...all this time I just thought you a kill joy.

Mom, I am just like you and know I understand the methods to your seeming madness.  

2 comments:

  1. I think that it's appropriate that I be the first to comment, don't you think? "Thank you Jesus, I've been vindicated!" I really appreciate #2 above the most. But when did I ever forget you all together? The church nursery when you were an infant doesn't count....either time. I'm glad you were a bad liar. You gave it up quickly. Your brother was much better at it and I was never quite sure....
    Love you little Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Bekah !!!! Dad (Psalm 91)

    ReplyDelete